TwinSpires is a legal website dedicated entirely to the sport of horse racing. Horse racing fans will immediately recognize the name. It is derived from the famed Twin Spires of Churchill Downs Racetrack, the home of the legendary Kentucky Derby.
This betting site brings the racing action from hundreds of tracks around the world to you. TwinSpires features live streaming, too, so you can watch the action while you bet
At TwinSpires, a library of past performances are available for every race meeting, detailed information on all of the major tracks, a blog, the Thoroughbred Daily News and an extensive racing calendar.
In this PlayTenn review, you’ll find all of the knowledge you need to become a betting member of TwinSpires.
First, we focus on the bonuses and promotions available before moving onto the loyalty program.
Next up, we do a walk-through of the site, before we detail all the betting options.
We close with the banking options available and the customer service options available at TwinSpires.
TwinSpires Tennessee welcome bonus
At TwinSpires, you’ll find one of the more straightforward initial bonus schemes online: Every new customer can claim the same $100 in bonus cash.
To clear this bonus, new players will have to place $500 in “completed wagers.” The $100 bonus will then appear in the account.
Players have 30 days to clear the bonus. A “completed wager” means that the race has run and the results are official. Players must opt-in before sign-up to be eligible.
The bonus cash will be credited within 10 working days.
Players in Tennessee must be 18 years or older to open an account and enjoy the deposit bonus.
TwinSpires also features a refer-a-friend program.
As well as inviting friends via email, you can invite them via social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook, or via a direct link.
TwinSpires TSC Elite program
All TwinSpires.com account holders will earn TSC Elite points every time they place a bet, either online or over the phone.
TwinSpires’ players will earn one point for every dollar they wager, unless they wager at any affiliated tracks. At Churchill Downs, Fair Grounds Race Course, Arlington International Racecourse and Miami Valley Raceway, they will receive four points for every dollar.
Points players earn are redeemable for wagering credits.
High-rollers can also enjoy entry into the VIP program. There are four levels with the following qualification criteria:
- Bronze: $25,000 in annual wagering online.
- Silver: $50,000 in annual wagering online.
- Gold: $100,000 in annual wagering online.
- Platinum: $250,000 in annual wagering online.
As part of the VIP club, you can enjoy free entry to select racetracks, a VIP monthly point bonus programs, a 20% discount on all Brisnet products, increasing VIP privileges and special awards such as a concierge VIP service for Kentucky Derby ticketing.
Other promotions, offers for TN TwinSpires’ bettors
On heading to the “Offers” page, you’ll find a whole host of promotions, which depend on the day or the specific track. These promotions update regularly, so you might find something new every time you look.
However, here are some of the more popular promotions available:
- Thursday $50 Winsurance: If you play the pick 4 at Hoosier Park, you’ll win even when you lose. That’s because you are guaranteed 40% of your wager back.
- Gait Insurance: Available at selected tracks, your win bet will be refunded if your selection breaks stride at any time in a race and doesn’t win.
- Wednesdays We Play, You Win: Every Wednesday, experts Ed and Scott receive $500 to wager. Opt-in and you’ll receive a share of whatever they win.
- Turf Top Off: Available at selected tracks, whenever you cash a winning exacta bet, you’ll receive a 10% bonus on top.
Overall, you can find as many as 15 bonuses and promotions available at any time, so it’s always a good idea to check the promo page regularly.
Members of TwinSpires can also enjoy free past performances (PP).
Once you download the PP of your choice, you’ll simply need to place a bet on your selected meeting, otherwise you will be charged the cost of the PP.
Design, usability at TwinSpires
When you visit the home page of TwinSpires in Tennessee, the “Bet Now” option (one of the five menus at the top of the site) is where all of the action takes place.
You’ll now find a page featuring a list of all of the day’s meetings in the left-hand column. Click on any meeting, and you’ll immediately be taken to the next upcoming race (or the first race of the day).
Two drop-down menus above the chosen race allow you to move to another meeting quickly, and then select the race number of your choice.
Looking at a race card, you’ll find detailed information about each of the runners.
Alongside the names are the race colors, color, age and the home state of the horse.
Next, you’ll see the names of the jockey and the trainer and their respective win records.
Further columns list the sire and dam of the horse, as well as the breeder. Meanwhile, the all-important current odds are on the right side. Drop-down menus uncover further info on speed and class on each of the runners.
To make a selection, you’ll click the circle to the right of the horse. This will allow you to submit the bet immediately, or save the wager to a bet slip. This is a good option if you’re going to make a series of selections, like a pick 4.
The menus at the top of the page offer the following options:
- Bet Now: As well as the immediate link to the latest racing action, there are further options. Results and replays can be found here, as well as any scratches or changes on a race day. Carryovers are also available, while a comprehensive racing calendar is accessible, too. The final option is to explore the latest player pools.
- Offers: Here, you’ll find all of the latest promotions and offers, including a hotlink to the sign-up bonus, the up-to-date bonuses and promotions, and the refer-a-friend program.
- News: This section offers links to the informational parts of the site. The TwinSpires blog comes first; this page is updated several times a day with the latest news. The Thoroughbred Daily News is a fantastically detailed “newspaper,” while there is also a link to the “Harness Racing Update” page.
- Handicapping: This is the section for those who are intent on studying the form in detail. Here, you’ll find the past performances and the “Handicapping Store,” as well as results and replays (which are the best way to get the real feel of the form). Info about racetracks, events and a glossary of betting terms are available here, too.
- Support: The customer support options, deposit options and everything you need to know about using TwinSpires in Tennessee are available here. We will further cover customer support options below.
Types of bet available at TwinSpires Tennessee
When you place a bet at TwinSpires, you’ll enter into the pari-mutuel betting pool at the track with the same range of bets on offer. The total prize pools are then divided between the winners in each of the markets.
Here is a list of all of the bets you can place:
- Win, Place or Show: These classic bets have been a staple of horse racing wagering over the years. A win bet clearly needs your selection to finish first to win. Place and show bets require your selection to finish in the first two and three, respectively.
- Exacta, Trifecta or Superfecta: These higher-paying wagers require you to select the first two, three and four, in the correct order. You can also “box” these wagers, meaning that the selections can finish in any order (at the cost of additional bets).
- Daily Double: You must pick the winners of two named races on a given day at one meeting.
- Pick 5 or Pick 6: You must pick the winners in a series of races on a given day at one meeting. Sometimes these pools aren’t won, and the prize pools carryover to the next day. Occasionally, these carryovers can last several days, offering incredible prize pools and a great deal of excitement.
The betting edge at TwinSpires
At TwinSpires, you will find a fantastic array of assistance available.
Head to the “Handicapping Store” (Brisnet.com powers it), and you’ll find as many as 35 aids.
These include past performances (that are free if you place a wager on the appropriate meeting), analysis, picks and data files, too. Whichever angle you use to get that betting edge, TwinSpires covers it.
Banking options for Tennessee users of TwinSpires
TwinSpires is fully regulated and legal within the state of Tennessee, leading to a full range of banking options available. These deposit methods include:
- EZMoney: A direct way to transfer funds electronically between your checking, savings, money market account and your online wagering account.
- PayPal: Enter your deposit amount, and PayPal will ask for a log-in and confirmation. This popular method is a secure and straightforward process.
- EZbank Bill Pay: Deposit funds, just like online bill pay, directly from your bank. You log in to your online bank to fund your wagering account directly.
- MoneyGram: Add funds to your account using cash at more than 39,000 locations inside retailers such as CVS Pharmacy, Walmart and thousands more.
- PayNearMe: Add funds to your account using cash at more than 25,000 retail locations such as CVS and 7-Eleven.
- Green Dot at the Register: Generate a custom barcode and present it at your favorite retailer with cash to load your TwinSpires’ account.
- Credit Cards: Use your Mastercard or Visa to make a deposit. TwinSpires recommends Mastercard as many Visa-issuing banks do not allow deposits from gambling websites.
The Wager Responsibly program
While the majority of people wager responsibly, some can find gambling to be a problem.
If this is you or someone you know, head to the “Wager Responsibly” page and you’ll find a couple of checklists.
One is a series of tips telling you the best ways to ensure you’ll continue to enjoy your time at the site.
The other list is a series of ways to identify a gambling problem.
A link to the 1-800-Gambler phone line is available, where help is at the ready 24/7.
Customer service options at TwinSpires Tennessee
TwinSpires offers three customer service options. You’ll find these when clicking on the “Support” option at the top of the page.
The first of the options is the FAQ section.
Here, you’ll find a database featuring all of the most common questions.
These are split into a series of submenus, including “Account Information,” “Results and Payouts” and “Wager History.” Upon clicking any of these submenus, you’ll find one or more pages of questions relating to the subject in hand.
Next up, you have the live chat option. This option is available from 9 a.m. until midnight every day. Simply click on the chat option and a new window will appear. A member of the customer services team will then join you immediately.
If you’re someone who likes human interaction, you can call TwinSpires’ Tennessee phone line at 1-877-774-7371. Someone will be available to take your call between 9 a.m. until midnight every day.
The final option is to send the site an email at [email protected].
A “Feedback” box lets you send the site comments and suggestions directly, while a postal address is also available if you prefer to send your feedback through a letter.
You can also keep up with all things racing through its social media channels on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Social media is an especially good way to keep up to date with TwinSpires’ numerous bonuses and promotions.
Wrapping up: How does TwinSpires Tennessee compare to other Tennessee-based racebooks?
You’ll already know from the name of this respected racebook that TwinSpires is a gambling business wholly dedicated to horse racing.
The company has been a mainstay in the industry for more than a decade. There seems to be little sign of this changing any time soon.
The sheer range of horse racing markets is impressive, bringing the action from the best racing in the US and internationally. You can wager how you want, too, with all of the most popular betting markets available.
With welcome bonuses and the vast array of promotions available every single day, there’s always the opportunity to grab an extra edge. Those free past performances and the picks available also ensure that you’ll have more info at hand than at many rival sites.
With live streaming, the blog and the impressive Daily Thoroughbred News available, there is no need for fans of horse racing to go anywhere else.